My 40th birthday is in less than a month and yes, I’m thinking about it probably more than I should. And I’m not comfortable with it. So, I did what I do best: rationalized things.
Pros/Cons of turning 40, anyone?
- (PRO) I’ve learned that if you really want something and are willing to pay the price for it, anything is achievable. When I first thought about immigrating to Canada I was only 18. I had no money, no work experience and no way to make it happen. 20 years later, I’ve moved to Toronto. It’s probably been the most difficult 4 years of my life. Would I do it again? Hell yes.
- (PRO) I’m no longer afraid of what other people think. For example, I’ve never had the urge to be a mom, but I was too afraid to admit. I remember being a teenager and my friends wanted to have kids soon. I never felt that way but I thought it would change overtime. It didn’t. And I’m no longer afraid to say it aloud.
- (CON) I thought I would have it all figured out when I reached 40, but I’ve learned that most people are winging it, including myself. I’ve achieved many important goals, but some of them I thought I would be way ahead. I’m not. I guess I still have a lot to learn and do.
- (PRO) I tell people what I think. I grew up with parents that were always arguing so naturally I always avoided conflict. Now I’m still not a fan of endless arguments but whenever needed I tell people what I think and if it causes conflict, so be it. I don’t run away from it anymore.
- (PRO)I’ve accepted my own values and I’m not apologetic about them. I’ve always felt bad for how animals are treated in our society. After years struggling with it, I’ve finally became vegan and it was one of the best decisions in my life. I feel in peace with my daily choices and I don’t hide them.
- (CON) I’ve never dreamt of a big wedding, but I thought that by now, I would have found someone that would be my partner in crime. Turns out this is much harder than I thought! Finding someone you love, that shares the same interests and goals in life and there’s a deep connection is almost like winning the lottery. Amiright?
- (CON) The whole story that when you’re 40 you finally make peace with your body is definitely not true. At least not for me. I still look at the mirror and after putting on weight because of health issues, I can barely recognize myself. And I don’t like it. Who’s going to add that old and well-known new year’s resolution to lose weight in 2017? I am.
- (PRO) You finally realize you’re not going to be super rich and have an extraordinary super instagramable life. And that’s Ok. You’re more concerned about living a life in alignment with your values, have as little negative impact on the planet as possible and treat people well.